Multimedia Journalism – Online DesignPosted: February 21, 2011
One way to learn about online design is to look at examples of badly designed web pages. Web Pages That Suck is a site that highlights some of the worst examples of online design. You'd think that, with the web becoming more and more a part of everyday life, they'd have less to work with. But it seems not – there are still plenty of dodgy sites out there for them to poke fun at.
In fact, you get the feeling that a lot of the sites they highlight have been designed that way on purpose to get attention from the site.
Today I want you to find the worst designed site they've highlighted over the last few years. Check the following links and try to decide which is the worst site – the site that deserves to win the overall award for awfulness.
- The Worst Websites of 2010
- The Ugliest Websites of 2009
- The Worst Business Websites of 2009
- The Most Over the Top Websites of 2009
- The Worst Websites of 2008
- The Worst Websites of 2007 – Part 1
- The Worst Websites of 2007 – Part 2
- The Worst Websites of 2007 – Part 3
- The Worst Websites of 2006
- The Worst Websites of 2005
As you look through, think about what's wrong with these sites – why don't they work? What's wrong with them? Is it the graphics? Is it the site organisation? Is it the way you move through the site? Try to come up with a list and pick your candidate for worst site. We'll then talk about it class.